Computer security, also known as cybersecurity or IT security, is the protection of computer systems from the theft and damage to their hardware, software or information, as well as from disruption or misdirection of the services they provide…
IT security Computer security | cybersecurity
Human beings are protective in nature That’s why belongings are required. These are never neglected rather they are secured.
Computer security, therefore, refers to all the procedures and measures taken to minimize the degree of computer system’s vulnerability to potential threats and attacks.
Why Computer Security Affects You
Computers are an integral part of day-to-day everyday life; E-mail and instant messages are heavily used for communications. University administrative business processes depend upon computer automation, record keeping, and dependable, confidential, and quick access to reliable information.
The university’s academic processes make use of the computer for classroom representations, lab demonstrations and simulations, and online research. For many of us, computers also used frequently in our private lives like in playing video games, watching videos, programming, writing projects …
“The people of the world have granted control of their existence to a computer, networks, and databases. You own a property if a computer says you do, You can buy a house if a computer says you may, You have money in the bank if a computer says so, Your blood type is what the computer says it is, You are who the computer says you are”. know more…
REASONS FOR COMPUTER SECURITY
- To avoid physical damage to computer systems
- Prevent information loss
- To protect personal/official purposes
COMPUTER SOFTWARE SECURITY
Computer software refers to the logical components of the computer system, which may include computer programs with their appropriate documentation, and coding and they needed data for the computer operations.
Thus there is every need to secure the computer software; security refers to all measures taken to ensure that information in the computer keeps intact. Information we know is both asset and power and no person or organization like been short of the above.
Measures Taken to Ensure Software security are:
- PASSWORD: This is a secret coding/representation known only to the user.
- BACKUP: This is substitute reserve in case of original loss. Floppy disk, CD Rom, and Flash drive are in use. Backups are a way of security information.
- ANTI-VIRUS: These are computer programs that attempt to identify, thwart and eliminate computer viruses and other malicious software. E.g Avast Anti-Virus, Power security Anti-Virus …
- AUTHENTIFICATION: This restricts access to unauthorized users. Identification cards are mostly in use.
Hardware security protects the computer and its peripherals from theft, electronic intrusion and damage. Physical on-site security can be easy as confining mission-critical computers to a lock room and restricting access to only those who are authorized.
Also, BIOS passwords prevent a malicious user from booting the system at all, determine the user from quickly accessing or stealing information stored on the hard drive key lock prevent internal access.
Computer Security can be compromised by hardware and software malpractice, human error and faulty operating environment. Threats, which exploit computer vulnerabilities can stem from sabotage, espionage, industrial competition, terrorist attack and mechanical malfunction. Also, know…
The consequences of a successful intentional or accidental misuse of computer security are:
- Loss of confidentiality
- Loss of system integrity
- Data theft or loss
Why do I need to learn about Computer Security? Isn’t this just an I.T. problem?
Good Security Standards follow the “90 / 10” Rule:
- 10% of security safeguards are technical.
- 90% of security safeguards rely on the computer user (“YOU”) to adhere to good computing practices
Example: The lock on the door is the 10%. You remembering to lock the lock, checking to see if the door is close, ensuring others do not prop the door open, keeping control of the keys, etc. is the 90%. You need both parts for effective security. more…
Computer security, also known as cybersecurity or IT security, is the protection of information systems from theft or damage to the hardware, the software, and to the information on them, as well as from disruption or misdirection of the services they provide.
What are the concerns of computer security?
Computer Security is concerned with four main areas:
1. Confidentiality:- Only authorized users can access the data resources and information.
2. Integrity:- Only authorized users should be able to modify the data when needed.
3. Availability:- Data should be available to users when needed.
4. Authentication:- are you really communicating with whom you think you are communicating with
Do join our free email subscribers with a single click to submit an email from the Electronic mail subscription Box on this site, Join now to keep getting out day Tech and Sci updates daily.