The u.s national merit scholarship is an academic body that offers scholarships to students, mostly those from high school with academically sound performance during their study program. Based on the name, the national merit scholarship offers the scholarship on merit basis and students selected becomes awardee of such scholarship.
The NMSC: national merit scholarship corporation Is for the academically inclined scholars that aim for more greatness.
Therefore, due to the scholarship offer, students has to strengthen up their academic performance by building a competitive environment.
If you are student in the sates, ten I advise that you should read up the post to the end, there is something to learn.
However, in this post you will learn more about the national merit scholarship and more alternative scholarships in U.S.
Scholarship offer by: National merit scholarship corporation.
Deadline: January 31, 2021
Level: undergraduate students
Scholars: U.S citizens
The sponsorship award: $2,500
scholarship country: united states
More About the National Merit U.S Scholarship
Firstly, I know most students are very much aware about the scholarship and what they really have to offer. Some may not be aware about this scholarship as well but if you are interested to learn more about it then let’s ride on.
The national merit scholarship entails that for students in the states to actually be eligible, they must have sat for the PSAT EXAM.
I guess as a scholars, you know what the PSAT exam is really about? This is a preliminary SAT exam test for the national merit scholarship.
Of course, there are some questions to answer during this test that qualifies the student to be able to secure the scholarship if he/she passes.
Furthermore, there are also stages before you can be able to be conferred such a huge scholarship offer. The stages are the commended, semifinalist and the finalist stage, you have to meet up with these two stages.
Millions and millions of students are invited every year to be able to apply for the national merit scholarship.
The scholarship program began in 1955 and it is organized by a solely private organization called the NMSC.
The NMSC presents and organizes two scholarship schemes under her platform, now what are the scholarship schemes.
First: National merit scholarship program.
Second: National achievement scholarship program (African/American students).
How do Students Qualify
Students qualify after sitting for the preliminary SAT exam or the National merit scholarship qualifying test <NMSQT>.
Students Achievements of the Scholarship
The achievements students really gain for the scholarship are as follows:
- The merit scholarship winner will receive an award of $2,500 for their study program.
- This scholarship offers awards to its numerous winners, up to 2,500 winners at the end of the program.
- Awards are given for college or university studies especially to accredited universities.
Taking up a PSAT Exam (National Merit U.S Scholarship)
Firstly, remember I made mention of this exam which students have to take and which will qualify them as well for the scholarship.
The PSAT exam still forms that competitive ground where students from allover the states in different schools struggles to pass.
The more the outcome or score, the better chances of a student to scare through and move to the next level.
There are performance strains attached to this PSAT exam: this shows the students critical reading skills, mathematics tackling ability, and accurate writing skills as well.
The students scores are computed every year and and winners will ten emerge based on the best scores.
However, the scores vary state to state in the U.S. For example California and Los Angeles might not have the same cut-off mark for students.
In addition to that, most competitive states are the New jersey and Massachusetts base on record analysis.
Finally, students are notified through their head of school who will receive the notifications and then relate with their students.
The committee knows how important the exam is to students and how it can help them in their academic pursuit. Therefore they give in their very best to bring out the merit winners.
There are selected committee that are in charge of the scholarship exam and these committee selects the best students based on scores
The ending part of their work is that they run analysis on the last 15,000 finalist of the exam and then selects the last 2,500 winners from this exam.
The 3 Stages of this Scholarship (National Merit U.S Scholarship)
If you have been reading this post from the beginning, you will know that I made mention of this stages before. So let’s quickly know what they talk about.
COMMENDED SCHOLARS: these are students that took the exam just like every other student applying for the merit scholarship. However, they have low score or score below the required marks, so they scholarship sends them a letter of commendation for their academic effort.
These are students that their marks comes up higher and they are chosen to represent the state they live in. The journey does not end here because after this stage comes the final stage.
Here is the last lap, therefore students give in their very best at this stage. The final stage shows 15,000 students from the semifinalist section struggling for the last spot of 2,500 winners in the final stage.
How Eligible are You to Apply
- Students must be a united states citizen.
- They are free to take up the scholarship as undergraduate student in any course.
- Students must first register and sit for the PSAT exam and they can start as early as grade 9.
- Students sitting for the exam should come from a high registered high school in the states.
- Also, they should join the high school district of columbia and U.S common wealth.
Below are just few steps on how to apply:
- The first thing to do is to submit the merit online application to the head of school office. I.e students submit national merit application after registering online.
- The English language skill is just the only language needed for these scholarship.
- Students must take up the PSAT OR NMSQT test during high school studies.
- Therefore, if you are not a U.S citizen but you did not attend high school within the country and you are one of the finalist, then you should follow:
- Present a letter stating reasons for becoming a citizen by your choice and when you will like to be a citizen.
- However, if you have a U.S permanent resident permit and green card, then you should present it as well. Showing all details about you.
- If you have applied for residency, then present the copy or form from the U.S immigration.
- Submit everything before the last day of application and finalist result.